Cell Counters from New Brunswick™
NucleoCounter® & NucleoCounter YC-100
Available in North America only.
Automated cell counting for mammalian cells & yeast — Accurate counts in under a minute!
The NucleoCounter is a unique automated cell counting device for mammalian cultures. The Nucleocounter YC-100 counts yeast. Both are fast, accurate, easy to use, and maintenance- and calibration-free!
Precision counts, made easy!
The NucleoCounter systems use the same basic principles to determine cell concentration as used in conventional methodology involving a hemacytometer and microscope. However, the compact NucleoCounter system adds the precision and reliability of fluorescence microscopy technology. The NucleoCounter automates this time-consuming task, eliminating manual evaluation, and errors caused by operator subjectivity.
The NucleoCounter system uses a disposable sampling device, the NucleoCassette®. This small, plastic cartridge is internally pre-coated with a fluorescent dye, propidium iodide (PI), which stains the cells' nuclei. Because the NucleoCounter detects signals from the stained nuclei, and not the cells, the system operates without regard to cell size or morphology. It is therefore capable of easily counting a variety of culture types, including CHO, hybridomas and adipocytes, without requiring calibration. Aggregate cultures pose no problem, as there is no need for the cell's outer membrane to be intact.
The NucleoCounter system consists of:
- A NucleoCounter with highly-advanced fluorescence microscope, charged-coupled device (CCD) camera, and hardware-based image analysis
- Disposable NucleoCassettes with piston (A) to aspirate a pre-defined volume of your sample into the cassette; (B) nuclei-staining dye; and (C) window where sample will be read by the NucleoCounter
- Reagents for cell lysis and stabilization
- Optional NucleoView™ PC software for documentation, image viewing and data processing
Simple as 1-2-3. It's as easy as that!
- Pre-treat your sample with reagent(s). The lysis and stabilization buffers dissolve cell aggregates and lyse cell membranes.
- Load the NucleoCassette with your pre-treated sample, place in NucleoCounter and press Run. This will produce a total cell count in about 30 seconds. To determine cell viability, simply run a NucleoCassette with untreated sample. This will count non-viable cells. Cell viability can be determined from these two measurements.
- Or, let NucleoView PC software automatically compensate for dilution and calculate cell viability. This advanced software also allows you to view the sample image, and record data to your PC for report writing.
Cleanup is simple too!
After use, the NucleoCassette can be disposed of as biological waste, with the PI dye safely enclosed. Unlike flow systems and hemacytometers, the system requires no cleaning. The NucleoCounter is designed to be maintenance and calibration free. For customers working in a GLP or GMP environment, a Quality Control Test Kit is available to verify system performance. Ask your rep for details.
NucleoCounter®, NucleoCassette® and NucleoView® are trademarks of ChemoMetec A/S, Denmark.